Click City®: Tobacco
An engaging, evidence-based tobacco/nicotine prevention curriculum where students learn about the health consequences of using tobacco products and vaping nicotine
Click City: Tobacco
This engaging prevention program focuses on traditional tobacco products such as cigarettes, snuff, chew, plus vaping nicotine with e-cigarettes. Using interactive game-based learning and science-based lessons, it addresses risk factors for youth associated with onset of use of tobacco/nicotine.
Easy to Use for Teachers
Click City: Tobacco requires little teacher time to deliver, making it easy to incorporate into your existing curriculum and deliver with fidelity. Plus, ready-to-go parent newsletters are available in both English and Spanish.
Students Work Independently
The online curriculum allows students to work independently, engaging with the program through interactive games and activities. Students improve their health literacy throughout the program.
A mixture of activities including videos of young people and gamified learning are designed to meet state educational standards for preventing tobacco use.
Effective Evidence-Based Health Curriculum
Click City: Tobacco was developed and tested with 5th graders, before most students have tried vaping or other tobacco. Recent national surveys show that one in five 8th graders have tried vaping and one in ten have tried a cigarette (1).
Students independently navigate through eight lessons in the program, using their own secure login. Each lesson consists of two or three fun activities that take place in different locations in “Click City,” and on average takes a student 20-25 minutes to complete.
Additional optional classroom activities are provided to reinforce the online lessons, and may meet curriculum standards (e.g., science, math, writing). (Please check standards in your state.)
Students can complete one or two lessons a week, allowing flexibility for teachers in their planning. Students can take a survey before and after the program, and teachers and schools can decide which measures to use to assess student attitudes towards tobacco and e-cigarettes.
A Tobacco Prevention Solution Teachers and Students Enjoy
The Value of Click City: Tobacco
- Addresses e-cigarette usage by youth, which has increased dramatically.
- Guided interventions in Click City: Tobacco show substantially higher levels of engagement and effectiveness than do other unguided interventions.
- Targets students in the 5th grade prior to the onset of tobacco/e-cigarette use for most youth.
- An optional 6th grade review reinforces learning.
- Guides students sequentially and does not allow them to skip around, reducing time off task and missed content, and increasing program fidelity.
- Ready-to-go parent letters in English and Spanish make communication with families quick and easy.
Easy for Students to Use
- Provides an option for in-person, hybrid, and online students.
- Easy for students to use independently.
- Students set up their own accounts using a class code from the teacher.
- Students using the program can be supervised by a classroom assistant, other paraprofessional, or in the Media Center.
Easy for Teachers
- Easily integrates with existing health curriculum.
- Flexible delivery model: in health class, PE class, science class, Technology class, or during Media Center time.
- Easy and efficient for teachers to use.
- An easy-to-use Teacher’s Guide is available online for staff.
- Technical support is provided by Influents Innovations to support school staff using Click City: Tobacco.
What Our Users Say!
“I thought it was very well organized and put together. It was easy for the kids to navigate and they had very few questions for me as the teacher.”
“It was an engaging program that aimed at countering social pressures that students will soon experience. It had good science and also engaging games and other interesting materials for the students. The students often talked about the content outside the course, and it sparked lots of thought and curiosity to know more.”
“The program was simple for me to use as a teacher. It was very easy for my students to access the lessons.”
“I watched the students become thoroughly engaged in the content. That is the best way to guarantee delivery of the learning.”
“Students enjoyed it. They really liked the format a lot.”
“Good information presented in an effective way.”
“The program is excellent and the students really enjoyed it. The graphics and videos are high-quality and engaging, and the games and interactive components make the strongest argument against the use of tobacco that I’ve seen in a long time.”
“We love Click City days!”
Learn More About
Click City: Tobacco
Watch videos showing how the Click City program works and read the research behind Click City: Tobacco.
VIDEO: Addiction 101
Explainer Intro (under development)
(1) Miech et al. (2022)